VoIP – what’s all the fuss?
IP telephony or VoIP (Voice over IP) has been around for well over 10 years. It’s a tried and tested technology that delivers significant advantages over traditional analogue or hybrid systems. It quite literally changes the way you go about your business. Yet business has been slow to endorse the advantages it presents.
Here’s a list of essential pro’s to consider:
- Extension Number portability
The days of calling in the Telephone company to re-patch your number each time you move to another desk are numbered! With VoIP you simply take your phone set with you and plug in to the socket available at your new desk location. Your extension number will follow 🙂
Unlike traditional analogue PABX systems, implementing VoIP means there’s no need to install additional cables dedicated to telephony. Since VoIP technology is based on data network technologies it uses your existing data network infrastructure. Additionally most phone sets allow you to plug your PC or laptop directly into your phone so that you wouldn’t even need additional data points!
- The Phone Sets – Softphones vs Smartphones vs dedicated Desk-Sets
- Having the ability to carry your extension with you wherever you go is probably the single most advantageous reason for considering VoIP telephony. I’m not referring to taking a cordless phone with you into the board room – that’s old hat. What I’m talking about is literally being able to take a call to your extension from anywhere in the world! Most smartphones today support SIP communications and that means that when correctly configured you can have your extension with you wherever you are. All you need is a data package.
- Softphones allow you to install a small software package on your tablet, laptop or desktop and use your headset to place or take calls through your extension. Once again this can be done from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
- Desk-Sets provide the desk-bound user with all the functions of the traditional telephone set plus all the benefits that VoIP offers.
Today’s VoIP systems come in various packages however three main categories stand out: Hosted, Software or Appliance.
- Growth through innovation/creativity:
Rather than be constrained by ideas for new products, services and new markets coming from just a few people, a Thinking Corporation can tap into the employees.
- Increased profits:
The corporation will experience an increase in profits due to savings in operating costs as well as sales from new products, services and ventures.
- Higher business values:
The link between profits and business value means that the moment a corporation creates a new sustainable level of profit, the business value is adjusted accordingly.
- Lower staff turnover:
This, combined with the culture that must exist for innovation and creativity to flourish, means that new employees will be attracted to the organization.